Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From LA to San Francisco
So there are two roads that goes from LA to San Francisco, US 101 which directly takes you to the bay area and I 5, you have to change freeways to get to the bay area. 
If you're into a scenic route, don't care about the travel time, the 101 is for you, there are towns that offer tourist sites, wine and food. You also get a good view of the ocean and the mountains. You pass cities and towns like Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obisbo, Salinas. Although it'll take longer to get to San Francisco (or LA) taking the 101 due to the geography and topography of the central coast in California. Also there are a lot of turns and curves on the 101 and instead of going north, it goes west-east from LA to Santa Barbara and turns north-south in Gaviota, 15 minutes west of Santa Barbara. But then you're offered a nice view of the coast.
If you just wanna just get to your destination fast, the 5 freeway is for you. Although you gotta change freeways once you're in the city of Tracy to get to the bay area (or LA), it's still faster than taking the 101 because it's straight and flat. It's quite boring to drive through the valley, there are no stops and it's just farmland, no scenic views are offered. Just expect to smell cow poop when driving on the 5. 
What both routes do have in common is it's hell in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley (during rush hour). 
If you were to do a road trip from LA to San Francisco (or the other way around), which route would you take?
My dream car is the mystery machine
(06-28-2018, 06:59 PM)Dj7121la Wrote: So there are two roads that goes from LA to San Francisco, US 101 which directly takes you to the bay area and I 5, you have to change freeways to get to the bay area. 
If you're into a scenic route, don't care about the travel time, the 101 is for you, there are towns that offer tourist sites, wine and food. You also get a good view of the ocean and the mountains. You pass cities and towns like Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obisbo, Salinas. Although it'll take longer to get to San Francisco (or LA) taking the 101 due to the geography and topography of the central coast in California. Also there are a lot of turns and curves on the 101 and instead of going north, it goes west-east from LA to Santa Barbara and turns north-south in Gaviota, 15 minutes west of Santa Barbara. But then you're offered a nice view of the coast.
If you just wanna just get to your destination fast, the 5 freeway is for you. Although you gotta change freeways once you're in the city of Tracy to get to the bay area (or LA), it's still faster than taking the 101 because it's straight and flat. It's quite boring to drive through the valley, there are no stops and it's just farmland, no scenic views are offered. Just expect to smell cow poop when driving on the 5. 
What both routes do have in common is it's hell in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley (during rush hour). 
If you were to do a road trip from LA to San Francisco (or the other way around), which route would you take?

neither because both SA and LA are bad
>>>"This thread is faulty!"<<< - TaurusReborn
PENNSYLVANIA
LEHIGHVALLEYROADGEEK
I'd take CA 1. dgfjhdgsatertujdfhg
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
I-5 north to I-80 west. Maybe I-680 or some other aux highway.
- NotPancake

Long time UD player, own a lot. Have every gamepass.
The I5 goes to sacramento and the I80 is traffic hell. I've lived in cali for long enough to know that before we moved back.
(06-28-2018, 08:25 PM)noelboteveraT Wrote: I'd take CA 1. dgfjhdgsatertujdfhg

The PCH is nice but it merges onto the 101 in some places so you'll have to enter and exit the freeway. Still nice tho
My dream car is the mystery machine
I would take I-5 but it does have some tolls, so all I need to do is when I reach Exit 403B on I-5 and that leads to US 101, I would take the whole way and your there. So yea I would take US 101 and I-5.
Hi! I am Jadhostgamer! A person who loves Roads and Highways!
Doesn't I-5 go through some desert in between LA & Frisco?
(08-20-2018, 11:07 AM)NTekNiklaus Wrote: Doesn't I-5 go through some desert in between LA & Frisco?

If I recall correctly, I-5 between LA and SF is mainly farmlands and wild grass. Plus I-5 doesn't have direct connection to SF so you would have to take I-80 or some other roads westbound.
- NotPancake

Long time UD player, own a lot. Have every gamepass.
(08-20-2018, 12:48 PM)PancakeKillerYT Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 11:07 AM)NTekNiklaus Wrote: Doesn't I-5 go through some desert in between LA & Frisco?

If I recall correctly, I-5 between LA and SF is mainly farmlands and wild grass. Plus I-5 doesn't have direct connection to SF so you would have to take I-80 or some other roads westbound.

Wikipedia had some image of I-5 in what looks like a desert.