Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do UD devs take their games down when leaving the UDU?
It has always confused me a bit. I mean, when a developer get's bankrupt, that usually doesn't prevent their games from being sold, they just get a new publisher who handles things. Heck there are even games like Halo Wars that got released after their developer went bankrupt. Why is this different with UD?
The devs who leave aren't leaving because they are bankrupt. Usually they are leaving for various personal reasons.

Anyways, when devs leave the UDU, that means they also no longer are able to be in posession of UDU assets. Generally, it is easier to just close the game than to remove all the UDU assets, from my understanding anyways. I could be wrong with this but it is the best explanation I have for it.
-Tyler, UD Moderation Supervisor Twitter: @Mister_Freakout
Ex-Tire Technician, LRSC Police Officer Training Program Graduate
(06-23-2019, 01:35 PM)Tyler Wrote: The devs who leave aren't leaving because they are bankrupt. Usually they are leaving for various personal reasons.

Anyways, when devs leave the UDU, that means they also no longer are able to be in posession of UDU assets. Generally, it is easier to just close the game than to remove all the UDU assets, from my understanding anyways. I could be wrong with this but it is the best explanation I have for it.

Maybe this sounds stupid, but wouldn't it be theoratically possible to rerelease the game on a different official UD account if the dev who's leaving agrees to it?
That's up to the original developer if they would like to hand it off to another official UD dev to maintain release. As of right now, I dont think any of the retired devs have done it but yes that is a thing that could be done.
-Tyler, UD Moderation Supervisor Twitter: @Mister_Freakout
Ex-Tire Technician, LRSC Police Officer Training Program Graduate